UiH’s strategy focuses on advancing the education of nurses, occupational therapists and other allied health professionals in low and middle income countries, and ensuring the continuous professional development and expertise of these professionals, and of those individuals filling the gaps in communities where health services are limited or not available.
Most of our field-based activities consist of face-to-face training programmes for students, practicing staff and informal health workers, as well as publishing and promoting resource materials on a wide range of health topics essential to supporting a well-informed health care work force and population in general. These include:
- Training qualified nurses, occupational therapists and other allied health professionals in specialist clinical skills where these are absent and in greatest need.
- Setting up community based health projects following a multidisciplinary model of care in which nurses and occupational therapists play a central role in reducing inequalities in health services distribution.
- Offering human and structural support to existing services struggling to provide care to vast numbers of patients and families, particularly in remote and isolated areas.
- Developing training and ongoing support systems for people with no health qualifications yet who assume the role of health advisors and carers within their communities, ensuring that everyone has access to basic health care services.
- Encouraging research on the morbidity and prevalence of specific health problems and together with local organisations, finding sustainable answers for challenges encountered.
Shortages of trained nurses and allied health professionals are experienced across a wide range of clinical areas. Our current community based programmes focus primarily on mental health, dementia and palliative care, health fields which are often neglected and in desperate need of skilful and expert human resources. Future programmes will cover the above as well as other broader areas of clinical expertise.